Atlantic Sunsets: 17km
Hout Bay to Kloof Nek / Kloof Nek to Hout Bay
Guardian escort not necessary.
- Hout Bay, like Kalk Bay, is home to a fishing village.
- The road leading out of Hout Bay towards Llandudno has a good walking path and this remains true for most of the way.
- The sea is wild & exciting and crashing waves and smooth boulders pop up along the way until you arrive in the dense suburbs of Bakoven and Camps Bay.
- This is where the route rises up to Kloof Nek, a good steep climb.
- Once on the other side you can choose between continuing on the contour road running past Table Mountain cable car or into the city bowl.
What to see along the route
Kramat Of Sheikh Noorul Mubeen
About 2 km before hitting busy Bakoven, follow the stairs on your right and wind up the mountain until you meet a neatly built and nestled away Karamat. The care-taker, Mannie, is friendly and knowledgeable and will show you around this 350+ year old sacred space which holds the resting place for a political activist, Sheikh Noorul Mobein, in the 1700’s. Be sure to cover your shoulders and knees to show respect for the holy space.
The Glen Nature Reserve
The Glen forest and nature reserve is an optional walking route up from Campsbay to Kloof Nek. The busy beach front subsides as you follow the foot path under canopies of enormous, age-old trees. Enjoy the smell of the forest, the echoes of the birds and the burn of your thighs before you pop out onto Kloof Nek and make your way down to the city.